Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Preparing for a Move

With two months to prepare for our upcoming move we are able to plan carefully with our big Spring Clean and massive sort through and throw away binge. Then, we are planning a garage sale and making sure every thing gets organized before it is packed. We'll start pretty soon with a box or two everyday and the actual box packing won't get too overwhelming.

If you have ever been through a move where it was "go, go, go" and you ended up dumping nonsense together - it certainly makes for a mess! With a move the more organized parts of me kick into high gear and we get everything squared away! I am usually COMPLETELY unpacked from a move in less than 2-3 days. That's just how we roll in the Ayers household. My husband knows I like to be settled and he practically kills himself to help me get it done. However, there are a couple of other really important things that we do when we move:

FIRST and foremost - we believe STRONGLY in spending time praying for the house. Now, naturally the whole moving process and decisions have been covered by prayer - but what I am talking about is different. This is partly my husband's spiritual conviction and partly a spiritual truth passed down by my father. I have never moved (before or after marriage) that my dad wasn't a part of praying through a house, anointing all the doorposts with anointing oil and consecrating or setting it apart for the Lord. My husband takes leadership of this now and he walks the entire property claiming it for God and His work and rebuking any spiritual darkness that may be present. We really believe this is so important.

SECOND - as a family we have been searching for great scriptures to put on the walls of the new house! We've had a lot of fun with this - and if you've followed my blog for any length of time you probably know that this is a bit of a passion of mine anyway, with my painted verse signs. However I have always wanted to take it up a notch - and this house is going to give me just that opportunity. We are going to be painting a lot of scripture verses on the walls - and I am really looking forward to that. I'll share pictures when I get everything done.

I know that this is my soapbox, but I can't tell you how a simple thing like a sign drills the words of the Lord into my kid's heads. My youngest LOVES kind of an ugly sign we have in the living room with, "Whatever you do work at it with all your heart as working for the Lord, not for men." -Col. 3:23. What an awesome truth for a young man to love! I don't really like the looks of the sign and was planning to repaint it - but he wants it for his room. I'm thinkin' that can be arranged - I mean who am I to deny the kid some truth?
We are really excited to really cover this new house with the Word of God- in more ways than one!

No comments: