Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Homemade Granola Bars

My family loves these Sunbelt peanut butter chip granola bars. They are always scarfed up pretty quickly around here. So, I decided I would try to make some homemade ones. So looking at granola bar recipes most of them as you probably know are held together with mostly oil, with some peanut butter or honey. I really hate a greasy granola bar so I decided to go another route.

So, I went with marshmallows. What? Were you thinking I was going to say some secret soy tofu ingredient or something? Lets just all agree your not reading this blog to discover my healthy cooking genius. Sorry, but there's actually very little cooking genius available here.
I modified the rice crispy treat recipe (off the box) using about a cup less marshmallows. The rice crispy treat bars recipe calls for 6 cups of rice crispies, so I put in about 6 1/2 cups of stuff: crushed corn flakes, granola, oats, rice crispies, other cereal crushed. Then when it was all completely mixed together I added about 3/4 cup of peanut butter chips.

Very good if I do say so myself. Healthier? Hmm. At least there is no corn syrup, 5 kinds of oil, and all those other bad things designed to make them last 20 years. With twice as much in quantity than a $2 box, I know they are cheaper and they might just last a little longer too.

No comments: