Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Llama Show

Gracie took part in her first llama show this week at the Youth Expo. She did great and she loved it. She loves everything animal and I feel like this is something she'd like to do again. She wants to enter the State Fair competition next fall. We don't own the llama, my sweet cousin does and she has to end up doing as much as Gracie to get them ready, so it is blessing that she is willing to share her llama with us.Llama showing is kind of like animal "whispering" and I think that is the major appeal for Gracie. She likes to think she has kind of an animal connection.
You have to coax the llama through all sorts of (to them) terrifying situations, so they have to really trust you, and you have to communicate well with them.
Grooming them is another major issue. They don't like it, and, as you see they are rather hairy.
We had a bit of a trauma before the show. Gracie's hand was cut by the electric shears when they were grooming the llama. It was a pretty bad cut and required stitches. She is not exactly good with blood to say the least. Since she was small, we have kept a special red rag under the sink especially for her cuts so she doesn't see blood and flip out. It was pretty awful to say the least. I'm not sure what I would've done if my patient husband hadn't been there to calm her. Did I just call that man patient? Wow. I guess it's true what they say about super qualities kicking in when your children are injured!

No comments: