Monday, February 27, 2012

Our Menu this Week

My favorite lunch of all time? Okay, not of all time, but of lately. Scrambled eggs with avocado and just a touch of picante. If I had chickens and an avocado tree and a garden full of picante ingredients I'd eat this all the time.



This week various family members have begun various fasts in honor of Lent. No, we aren't Catholic, but we just use the occasion to honor God in a Biblical fast. I love that my family, even the kids think about such things in our self-indulgent world. I even like the creativity it requires me as the preparer of meals. I'm dancing around the details because I have this perception that to give you the details is to be like the Pharisees who Jesus scolded for parading about when fasting.



But, fasting is a Spiritual Discipline that is almost extinct in our Christian churches and it is very biblical. And part of the reason for it's lack of use might be due in part to the fact that we don't talk about it very much. Jesus said, "When you fast..." Matthew 6:16-18, he didn't say if you fast. While I don't want to make a show of it, I think it is good to share our experiences... maybe some of you will be challenged to take on the discipline of fasting in some way, even just from media or television. I think kids as young as 7 or 8 can begin to understand the concept of fasting, even if it is just from video games, tv, or candy.


Anyway, some members of the family are on the Daniel Fast. So, vegetarian foods are on the menu for the next 40ish days. Maybe we broaden our vegetarian standards more than some, but if it grew on a plant it is okay; which means nuts and whole grain rice, potatoes, and a few more options. Tonight we are having vegetarian chili - Martha Stewart's recipe -over baked potatoes. That's not strange is it? You can't on a Daniel Fast put butter and cheese on baked potatoes, so we fix em up in other, creative ways. I'm also looking at some neat things made with almond or rice milk, not ingredients I have used before.

No comments: