Monday, June 27, 2011

Review: The Blackberry Bush

My first thought after reading The Blackberry Bush was, "How in the world am I going to review that?" The Blackberry Bush is a new novel by David Housholder that uses a unique style. The book jumps from different characters, time periods, continents, and points of view. I don't know exactly how to review it, because I really liked it; but it also bothered the mess out of me at the same time. But I think the author kind of meant for it to. In the promotional information it called the book a treasure hunt, and that is a pretty accurate description.

You know this jumping around thing is being done more and more in books and movies and it is only the rare occasion that it is a good thing in my opinion. I don't mind a book going to many little storylines if there is a strong, clear climax that brings it all together. The Blackberry Bush DOES kind of come together in the end and it has a good conclusion. When I finish a book (or movie for that matter) with many storylines, I just kind of sit there at the end and have to think, okay, what happened to this loose end, and what about that situation? It just seems like it's laborious to resolve everything in my mind.

Overall, I enjoyed reading the book and it certainly had some great points - great quotes about life and faith. If I were writing this book it would be less about describing the characters in their brokenness, and more about them truly realizing who Jesus is and His role in bringing them wholeness. It does a good job expressing a strong Christian theology, it just seemed like it got so bogged down in the characters before it got there, I guess that's what happens with so many main characters. The end of the book contains questions for group discussion. Now, that would really be interesting! It is the kind of book you need someone else to read so you can talk about it with them. It is a good combination of easy to read and deep, with some major symbolic features! It also is appropriate -and would be excellent as a matter of fact for teens.

The author indicated in an interview at the end of the book that their will be more books in this series. I would definitely like to read them. The book is available from Summerside Press for $14.99 HERE this link will also take you to excerpts, a book trailer, and lots of other interesting information.


I was given a copy of The Blackberry Bush by Summerside Press and B&B Media group for the purposes of review only.

No comments: