Monday, February 22, 2010

In My Crockpot Today

Smockityfrocks is doing a neat recipe collection today - AND my favorite recipes -crockpot recipes! I always put something in the crockpot on my way to co-op on Mondays. Today, it will be my good friend Christie's Crockpot Chicken (see recipe below)!

You can click on the link above and go to the smockity website and see all kinds of great crockpot ideas.

Most of my crockpot recipes come from my favorite crockpot recipe book: Fix it and Forget It - I love that book! Here's one of my favorites from the book:

Crockpot Tortellini and Broccoli
1/2 Cup water
26 oz. jar of pasta sauce
1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
9 oz. pkg. spinach and cheese tortellini
16 oz. pkg. broccoli florets

1. Mix water, sauce, and seasoning together in bowl.
2. Layer 1/3 of sauce, all tortellini, 1/3 of sauce, broccoli, remaining sauce
3. Cook on High 2 1/2 - 3 hours - longer and the tortellini might get mushy.

I sometimes like to add cheese, or ham or some other meat I have on hand.

And how I love the hidden spinach AND broccoli - double whammy veggies!

Christie's Crockpot Chicken:
Ingredients:
3 large chicken breasts or 4-5 small ones (you could also use chicken thighs if you like dark meat)
1 16 oz.jar of salsa
1 envelope taco seasoning
1 can corn, drained
1 can beans, drained and rinsed (I used black beans but you can use whatever you like)
Shredded cheese (any variety you like)
Any taco toppings your family likes-- shredded lettuce, diced tomato, sour cream, guacamole, etc.

Recipe: Put your chicken breasts (thawed or frozen) in the crock pot. Pour beans, corn, and salsa over them. Add your taco seasoning and stir. Turn crock pot on low and simmer for 6-7 hours. 30- 60 minutes before serving: Remove the chicken breasts and shred. Add back into pot and stir. (This lets the chicken soak up all the good stuff!)I served with tortilla chips, shredded lettuce and cheese. Great with rice!

2 comments:

SnoWhite said...

Both of those sound wonderful -- I have tortellini in my freezer... :)

Smockity Frocks said...

YUM! These look great! Thank you for linking up!