Tuesday, May 1, 2012

The SIX love languages

Byron and I are HUGE fans of the 5 Love Languages by Gary Chapman.  I think every engaged couple or new parent should read this book, it's been around since the early 90's, so you can generally pick up a copy at a used bookstore pretty cheap. If you haven't read it, you may not know what I am talking about. The link above outlines what it is about.  I guess it first hit home to us when our oldest was about 3.  She was always a touchy toddler, but at that age, ...and even now at 14 :)...she was always hanging on us, kind of clingy.  After reading the book it was clear she scores huge on the Love Language  -physical touch.  So we made an effort to rub her back, hug her, and that kind of thing.  Her "love tank" of the love she needed was full, and she wasn't as clingy and whiney.  Wow. 
Anyway, it is certainly worth the effort to figure out what your loved ones "are" love-language wise.  I recently had the notion that there is a whole new love language, or rather the Love Languages are being expressed a lot differently through social media and TEXTING.  Maybe we should add a whole 'nother love language - media messaging.  Some people just seem to thrive on texting!  Thinking about it this way made me a little more compassionate.  I sometimes get aggravated when text messages drag on or seem particularly pointless.    Ok.  Thx.  See ya.  Some people just gotta keep it going... and going... I'm not a huge texter, except to my husband, we keep a pretty continuous text conversation going on throughout the day.  Some people just need a text to make them feel loved!  Hmm.. 6 Love Languages?

No comments: