Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Misunderstood


Smart people sometimes have a problem being understood. My sometimes jumbed, creative mind doesn't always function on the same plane as everyone elses. No one knows this better than my husband, who sometimes says, "You know you just said that out loud, right?"



It's a terrible feeling to be misunderstood. When you meant something one way, and people don't take it that way? When you say something with a different meaning, and no one gets it? It's got to be one of the worst feelings in the world. It was one of the most frustrating things for me teaching high school - it seems like you are all day facing these blank stares of lost confusion.



In addition to all the other physical pains and emotions going through his head, Jesus experienced the frustrating feeling of being misunderstood as he hung on the cross. In Mark 15:29, people were shouting at Jesus, they yelled at him, "You said you were going to destroy the temple and rebuild it in three days. Well then, save yourself and come down from the cross." This chapter goes on and mentioned other comments made by priests, "he can't save himself!" and even his last words, as it says in Mark 15:35 - "Some of the bystanders misunderstood and thought he was calling for the prophet Elijah." Being misunderstood is so frustrating especially when you are tired and cranky. I would just want to lash out in anger - You people don't get it! Why are you so dumb? Or at least rolling my eyes in frustration and thinking, "I can't wait to get back to Heaven."



Jesus didn't feel those things I would feel. Jesus just looked at those people with love and kindness, even though they were ridiculous and wrong. Among other reasons for this attitude, Jesus didn't have my pride. That is the root cause of the kind of frustration with people I am talking about. It just brings home to me a whole new level of being like Jesus - it makes me aware of a level of patience I need to have. It gives me a whole new awareness of "dying to myself" and denying my own feelings.


I hope you make the time this week to really dig into the story of Jesus and his last days on Earth!

No comments: