Saturday, October 17, 2009

Recipes from Make-Ahead Day

Well, after the flour dust has cleared, make-ahead day was really worth it! (See 3-4 posts back for details). It is so great to sit back this weekend and have meals for at least a week already done, and some good snacks and lunches stored up too!

Several people asked about our PBJ sandwiches. Really good quality wheat bread is the best. White bread just gets nasty. It is soggy, or hard, or both. It takes them very little time to thaw, too, the kids like them thawed, but still a little cold.

The verdict is still out on the Vanilla Coffee Creamer. Here's the recipe:


3/4 c. non-dairy creamer


3/4 c. powdered sugar


1/2 tsp. real vanilla extract


I didn't use real vanilla extract, and it was kinda clumpy. It tasted great, but it takes longer to dissolve. I am not a coffee drinker and Byron leaves the house at 4:30am, so I haven't had the best feedback from him. I'm gonna try the recipe again with real vanilla. Let me know what you think. It certainly is cheaper than the creamer I buy normally.

Here's our great waffle recipe: I haven't frozen them, I just make a double batch and keep it in the fridge for quick fixin'. A normal batch (recipe below) makes about 7 big, thick waffles.

1 c. whole wheat flour

1 c. all purpose flour

1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

2 tablespoons sugar

1 tablespoon baking powder

1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. cinnamon, if desired

1 2/3 cups milk

1/3 cup melted butter

2 large eggs

Combine dry ingredients, then liquid.

The original recipe called for 2 cups all purpose flour and I've been trying to work toward using much more wheat flour, substituting where I can. I have learned you can't just substitute all purpose for wheat in equal parts, half and half seems to work better and the waffles have a better texture, too.

Okay, Ally's muffins are kind of neat, it is just a simple old basic muffin mix and you can mix in whatever you want to them. We love putting in cheese and a bit of garlic salt, this time Ally put a bit of jam in the middle of them (it oozed out a bit and made a mess). I like dicing an apple into the batter and adding some nutmeg and 2T. sugar. We made them plain once because we couldn't think of anything to put in them and they were barfy.

2 C. sifted flour

1 T. baking powder

1/2 t. salt

3 T. sugar

1 egg, beaten

1 C. milk

3 T. oil or melted shortening

450 degrees, 20-25 minutes

Wish I knew how to put these in another link like the good bloggers do!

Anyway, my favorite company recipe, Mexican Manicotti. I love this because it is a make ahead recipe, so I make it for company the night before and then I can clean house before they get here! I always make a double batch because I sit in front of the TV and stuff the shells and why not make a double batch?

1 lb. gr. beef

2 1/2 tsp. Chili powder

1 pkg. (8oz) manicotti shells

1 jar (16 oz.) picante sauce

1 c. shredded Mexi-blend cheese

1 can (16 oz) refried beans

1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano

2 1/2 c. water

2 c. sour cream

optional - 1/4 c. sliced green onions, &/or sliced olives

Combine beef, beans, spices and spoon into shells in a 13x9 baking dish. Pour water and picante sauce over it. Cover and refrigerate over night. This is when I freeze it, the next day after it has had a chance to mix together and soften the shells. It freezes nicely.

Next, remove from refrigerator and let it thaw. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for one hour. Uncover, spoon sour cream over the top. Sprinkle with cheese and the onions and olives if you want those. Bake 5-10 minutes longer, or until the cheese is melted.


Here's a neat link to some minute rice recipes I thought were neat - love that stuff! I made King Ranch chicken with brown rice and froze it.

http://www.minuterice.com/Images/library/classicminutesubstitutes.pdf

Blessings to all,

T

No comments: