Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Pillsbury Bakeoff Kind of Day

We had a Pillsbury Bake-off kind of day today. The girls and I experimented with making corn dogs. They turned out so-so - they weren't really impressed. We cut hot dogs into 1 inch pieces and put cornbread mix into mini muffin pans, put the hot dog pieces in and covered it with a little bit more cornbread mix. We miss that Cotton-Pickin Cornbread they sell in North Carolina - they don't sell it here. It's the sweetest cornbread ever. The girls are both really into making homemade bread lately.
Next, we made spinach quiches in muffin tins. Are you impressed? We made a bunch of snacks for the rest of the week, mini muffins to have on hand for quick breakfasts, vanilla pudding, and then we started working on tomorrow's supper, a cool concoction with one of those 15 bean soup mixes you find in the raw bean section.
This is my new favorite thing - it makes a ton, so I don't cook for days, it is super cheap, and it is the only bean thing my kids actually like. I cook the 15 bean soup in the crock pot all day (after soaking 24 hrs before) and pour in cooked brown rice, 1 lb of gr. beef, 2 cans of petite diced tomatoes, a little bit of picante, some chilli powder, salt and pepper. I have a pretty big crock pot and I had to move some of it to another pot cause it was too much. We eat it plain like soup, or over chips. Byron calls the bean thing pottage from the story of Elisha and the noxious pottage in 2Kings4:38-41. It is a great story and he often feels the need to claim the promise of this scripture when I cook. It reminds our family when we pray for our food - we are not just blessing the food -but we are actually praying that the food would be healed. LOL
I bought a whole loaf of bread to make pinch and seal PB&J uncrustables out of the whole loaf - I think we'll tackle that project next - just as soon as we clean up the mess from everything else we have cooked today!
Love,
Tara

No comments: